Joomla 3.6 Released
Joomla 3.6 brings more than 400 improvements
Joomla 3.6 released with hundreds of improvements and some new big features. Most importantly, updating your current Joomla 3 site to this latest version is happening very smooth and seamless.
Joomla 3.6.x versions are the latest releases in the 3.x cycle but it started with more than 400 improvements made in the Joomla core. Notable changes and improvements are especially important for site administrators since they make managing a Joomla site more easier and faster.
Now, let's see what's coming with Joomla 3.6.
What's new in Joomla 3.6
As I mentioned above, there are more than 400 improvements in Joomla 3.6 and you can find some of the most important and noteworhty changes below:
- Joomla! Update has been improved and now allows you to reinstall Joomla’s core files at the click of a button, overwriting any modified file(s) and reverting them back to the default.
- Joomla! 3.6 contains a lot of UX improvements. Now you can find your modules faster, have tasks done by dropdown, improved user management and so much more...
- With the new Sub Form Field function in Joomla! 3.6, we added some extra additional functionality next to Repeatable fields. Now you can nest XML forms inside each other or reuse your existing forms inside your current form.
- Create categories on the fly: It can get frustrating when you create a new item, and you realise that you haven’t created a category yet. Joomla! 3.6 now lets you create a category on the fly for articles, contacts, newsfeeds and banners.
- Menu type ACL: ACL in the backend did not exist at the menu level, now we have improved that. Give or block certain user groups access to a specific menu, and therefore also all menu items of that menu.
- See what's in your menus with All Menu Items: The new option to show all items from all menus gives you a quick overview of what is displayed where on your website. It has never been easier to spot duplicated links, missing menu items or just get an overview of every menu on your site.
- And much more... To have a full list of the 3.6 features, please visit Joomla's GitHub Repository.
Also, you can see the new features by category:
You can update your current Joomla site to the latest Joomla version from the Joomla Update component (Components > Joomla update) and do not forget to take a full backup of your site before updating it. You can refer to Joomla's official update documentation for more details.